LMSR 4-6-2 8P Coronation Class No. 46229 'Duchess of Hamilton' - 2009.
Duchess of Hamilton' entering the Great Hall at the start of the... Foto di attualità 1027289622009,Ambientazione interna,Anteprima,Cimitero,Composizione orizzontale,Creazione dell'uomo,Entrare,Esposizione,Finanza,Hall,Immagine a colori,Lapide,Locomotiva,Morte,Paesaggio,Regno Unito,Struttura costruita dall'uomo,Struttura edile,Tipo di trasporto,Treno,Treno a vaporePhotographer Science & Society Picture LibraryCollection: SSPL SSPL/National Railway MuseumUNITED KINGDOM - NOVEMBER 15: 'Duchess of Hamilton' entering the Great Hall at the start of the special preview launch of the exhibition 'Streamlined Styling an Era', 19 May 2009. The exhibition documents the importance of streamlining in design and the science behind it and explored the links between 1930's fashion, engineering and design and ran from 20 May until 31 December 2009. LMSR 4-6-2 8P Coronation Class No 46229 was designed by William Stanier and was completed at Crewe Works on 7 September 1938, with the number 6229. It was one of 38 Coronation Class locomotives built, 24 of which were streamlined. 6229 officially entered service on 10 September 1938. In January 1939 the LMS sent 6229 to the World's Fair in America, masquerading as the original member of its class No 6220 'Coronation'. Due to the outbreak of the Second World War, the engine remained in the United States until February 1942 and, shortly after returning, it exchanged correct names and numbers with 'Coronation'. In 1948 the streamlining casing was removed with the aim of easing maintenance. In its place the loco was fitted with smoke deflectors, a double chimney and sloping smokebox top. During its BR service the locomotive was given the number 46229 and operated The Caledonian service, between Euston and Glasgow. On 15 February 1964 'Duchess of Hamilton' was withdrawn from service and later purchased by Butlins Ltd for display at its Minehead holiday camp. In May 1976 the locomotive came to the museum on a 20-year loan and was formally acquired for the National Collection in 1987. In September 2005 the museum announced that the streamlining would be re-instated, returning the locomotive to its original appearance. This work was undertaken at Tyseley Locomotive Works and on 18th May 2009 it was returned to the National Railway Museum, before going on display in a new exhibition called Duchess of Hamilton Streamline (Photo by Science & Society Picture Library/SSPL/Getty Images)